Olathe Rotary Travels with Heart to Heart International to Guatemala, November 2009

The Olathe Rotary Club, which supports Heart to Heart International and "Elizabeth's Kids" (Deb's House Orphanage), sends club members to Guatemala once or twice a year to help with water sustainability and community development efforts.

This blog will report on the team's sojourn near Lago de Atitlan during the week of November 4th through the 11th, 2009.

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Ugly American?

Having stayed at the hotel for the day, I was able to see a side of life here that otherwise we would have missed. I am going to offer a personal perspective that none of our team needs to endorse and it's not about them. For that matter, I suspect their world view has grown immensely as mine has.

My room is on a second floor, open air veranda. Outside my door are several easy chairs and a small table. Today two America woman with a translator met with a series of area woman to examine and purchase their handcrafts. (I almost said that the translator was local, but am less sure of that.)

For several hours as I worked on our previous blog posting, I overheard their negotiations if that is what you want to call them. The native craft-workers were all dressed in native garb and the translator made sure none of them spoke English. As the two Americans reviewed their work, mostly jewelry, they would comment on various values and resale potential. They were looking not for themselves, but for their customers back in the USA.

I must tell you that I am conflicted. Part of me understands and maybe even appreciates that these two Americans were really helping the local economy by buying these wares. The native producers seem to think the same thing, but I must tell you I wonder if they really understand the dynamics in these exchanges or are just being polite.

As I reflect on the average monthly income for most of the local population (about $50), I cringe as I listen to the Americans debate the merits of cutting the offering price by a penny or two. They aren't harsh, just cavalier about the beauty and needs of Guatemala.

Of course, I am not a good one to pass judgment. Jorge warned us that if we go shop, we should be prepared to haggle. The vendor will offer the maximum price and it's up to us to decide from there. He did suggest that the local economy would benefit from every dollar we spend. I'm not thinking my two American buyer-friends heard Jorge's message.

Paz

1 comment:

  1. What a story and what a lesson. You are all doing wonderful things, thank you Michael for keeping us up to speed!

    ReplyDelete