Olathe Rotary Travels with Heart to Heart International to Guatemala, November 2009

The Olathe Rotary Club, which supports Heart to Heart International and "Elizabeth's Kids" (Deb's House Orphanage), sends club members to Guatemala once or twice a year to help with water sustainability and community development efforts.

This blog will report on the team's sojourn near Lago de Atitlan during the week of November 4th through the 11th, 2009.

Saturday, November 7, 2009

My Weather Turned Blue

I won't bore you with the details, but after lunch it became apparent I needed to stay behind for the return trip to San Pedro. The team will be returning a little earlier than expected to meet with a unplanned, but most welcomed, visit from local Rotarians.

My break will give me a chance to catch up on a few observations and impressions that the team has collected so far. First, Ted has asked me to correct a statement I made in my first blog entry. While he joined the Club in Canada several years ago and has many dear friends there, he is now part of the NJ contingent. He along with Scott, Anthony and Cheryl make the up the NJ Rotarian "Fantastic Four."

Cheryl, pictured here, has managed to charm many of the local children. I think she too has been charmed.




While this is a little disjointed, I wanted to show you a picture from the lake surface. This was taken as we traveled to San Padro yesterday. The bluff you see is several miles away and surround the lake with three higher inactive volcanic peeks. It looks a little higher than the 100 feet that Jorge claims.

This last photo is of a taxi full of young women on their way to the docks. While not a preferred mode by most American standards, it sure beat walking up (or down) those steep grades when you could afford it.




For the most part, roadways are narrow and made up of cobble stone, pavers, gravel, dirt (mud), or some type of mix. The closer you get to the city center the more solid the bed.

I've got to close now. If the day grows better, I'll try again.

Paz

1 comment:

  1. Sorry your not feeling very well, Dad! Hope tomorrow is better -- enjoying the blog..keep us posted.

    Evan

    ReplyDelete